Trigeminal Neuralgia Treatment in Delray Beach, FL
What is Trigeminal Neuralgia?
Trigeminal neuralgia (TN) is a chronic pain condition that affects the trigeminal (5th cranial nerve). This nerve is the nerve that is responsible for distributing sensation from your face to your brain. Those that suffer from trigeminal neuralgia suffer from an extreme, sporadic, or sudden burning facial pain that can last up to a couple of minutes. Simple tasks such as brushing your teeth can trigger a jolt of pain in the face. Trigeminal neuralgia is most common in women over the age of 50.
Symptoms & Triggers of Trigeminal Neuralgia
It is important to keep out for the following signs and symptoms to help identify if you are suffering from trigeminal neuralgia:
- Sudden severe, stabbing to a constant aching, burning sensation of the face
- Facial pain lasting from several seconds to a few minutes
- Pain in areas of the cheek, jaw, teeth, gums, lips, and sometimes the eye and forehead
- Attacks become more frequent and more painful over time
- Sudden painful attacks that are triggered by touching the face, chewing, speaking, or brushing teeth
- Touching your face
- Brushing teeth
- Putting on makeup
Causes of Trigeminal Neuralgia
Trigeminal neuralgia can occur due to several reasons including:
- A blood vessel pressing on the trigeminal nerve as it leaves the brain stem
- Multiple Sclerosis or a similar disorder that causes a deterioration of the trigeminal nerve’s myelin sheath
- A tumor compressing the trigeminal nerve
- Brain lesion or abnormality
Treatment for Trigeminal Neuralgia in Delray Beach, FL
There are several treatment options for trigeminal neuralgia, including medications, surgeries, and natural remedies.
- Antispasmodic Agents
- Botox Injections
- Tricyclic Antidepressants to treat pain
There are several neurosurgical procedures that are available to treat trigeminal neuralgia, depending on how the level of pain. If the pain is frequent and severe enough, your physician may refer you to a specialist or a neurosurgeon.
- Homeopathic Spegelia: This natural remedy has been used to relieve facial pain. This should be used under the guidance of a qualified homeopathic practitioner.
- Chinese Herbs: There are many Chinese herbs that can help to relieve pain from trigeminal neuralgia, including:
- Shao Yao Gan Cao Tang: A peony and licorice mix that can help calm sudden pains
- Qing Shang Juan Tong Tang: Relieves head pain and facial pain
- Xue Fu Zhu Yu Tang: Helps increases blood flow to the area of pain
Contact Palm Beach Pain Institute today by calling (561) 499-7020 to schedule a consultation or explore your treatment options for trigeminal neuralgia in Delray Beach, FL. You can also schedule your appointment online through our secure form.