Shoulder Specialist in Delray Beach, FL
Your shoulders carry a lot functional responsibility for your body. There are many complex structures of the shoulder that can be strained or injured causing pain. Shoulder pain may include any pain in or around the shoulder joint.
Marcie A. Merson, M.D. is board-certified by the American Board of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation and has over 25 years of experience helping patients overcome pain. If you’re in the Delray Beach area, she may be able to help you, too. You don’t have to live with shoulder pain. Contact our office today and get started on the road to recovery.
A Closer Look at Your Shoulder
The shoulder is the most movable joint in the human body. A group of four muscles and their tendons, called the rotator cuff, give the shoulder its wide range of motion.
What are Common Causes of Shoulder Pain?
Swelling, damage, or bone changes around the rotator cuff can cause shoulder pain. You may have pain when lifting the arm above your head or moving it forward or behind your back.
The most common cause of shoulder pain occurs when rotator cuff tendons become trapped under the bony area in the shoulder. The tendons become inflamed or damaged. This condition is called rotator cuff tendinitis or bursitis.
Shoulder pain may also be caused by:
- Arthritis in the shoulder joint
- Bone spurs in the shoulder area
- Bursitis, which is inflammation of a fluid-filled sac (bursa) that normally protects the joint and helps it move smoothly
- Frozen shoulder, which occurs when the muscles, tendons, and ligaments inside the shoulder become stiff, making movement difficult and painful
- Overuse or injury of nearby tendons, such as the bicep muscles of the arms
- Tears of the rotator cuff tendons
- Poor shoulder posture and mechanics
- May be due to a problem in another area of the body, such as the neck or lungs
What Are Some Serious Causes of Shoulder Pain?
Some shoulder pain can be due to aging or everyday wear and tear. However, some shoulder pain is more serious and may require immediate attention.
- Shoulder separation
- Broken shoulder bone
- Dislocation of the shoulder
- Signs of a heart attack include sudden pressure or crushing pain in your shoulder
These serious causes may indicate an emergency, so please call 9-1-1.
When Should I Seek Treatment for Shoulder Pain?
We are specially trained to assist you with your shoulder pain and help you get back to normal functioning.
We can talk with you about your concerns and work with you to get you the right treatment. We can also help advise you regarding other specialties or surgeries if that is necessary.
Schedule a consultation with Dr. Merson if:
- Shoulder pain with a fever, swelling, or redness
- Problems moving the shoulder
- Pain for more than 2 to 4 weeks, even after home treatment
- Swelling of the shoulder
- Red or blue color of the skin of the shoulder area
How Can Shoulder Pain be Treated?
We have many options to help get you the relief you need. Shoulder pain can limit your mobility, your self-esteem and the quality of your life. If you’ve been dealing with pain, visit with Palm Beach Pain Insititute to get you the relief you need.
Treatment options for shoulder pain include:
- Injection of an anti-inflammatory medicine called corticosteroid
- Physical therapy
- Spinal cord stimulation (SCS)
- Anti-inflammatory medication
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs)
- Posture-strengthening exercises
Dr. Merson will perform a physical exam and closely look at your shoulder. You will be asked questions to help her understand your shoulder problem.
Blood or imaging tests, such as x-rays or MRI, may also be ordered to help diagnose the problem.
We may see you for other visits to discuss your successes, setbacks, and your plan for full relief moving forward.
Schedule a Shoulder Pain Consultation
We are committed to your peace of mind. Pain can be an all-consuming problem, and we can help get you on your way to living free of shoulder pain. We are qualified in the latest research and treatment options. We value you and know you come to us with great trust. Give us a call today to schedule an appointment in Delray Beach.