Osteoarthritis Treatment in Delray Beach, FL
What Is Osteoarthritis?
At Palm Beach Pain Institute in Boca Raton FL, we know that osteoarthritis, or degenerative joint disease, is the most common type of arthritis and often requires joint pain treatment. It is caused by the degradation of a joint’s cartilage. Cartilage is a firm, rubbery material that covers and cushions the ends of bones in normal joints. Its main function is to reduce friction in the joints and serve as an intermediary or cushion.
Marcie A. Merson, M.D. is board-certified by the American Board of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation. If you’re in the Delray Beach area, she may be able to help you, too. Contact our office today at (561) 499-7020 to schedule an appointment.
What Are the Symptoms of Osteoarthritis?
The following symptoms are characteristic of Osteoarthritis:
- Pain – your joints may ache, or the pain may feel burning or sharp. For some people, the pain may come and go. Constant joint pain or pain while you sleep may be a sign that your arthritis is getting worse.
- Stiffness – when you have arthritis, getting up in the morning can be hard. Your joints feel stiff and creaky for a short time until you get moving. You may also get stiff from sitting.
- Muscle weakness – the muscles around the joint may get weaker. This happens a lot with arthritis in the knee.
- Swelling – arthritis can cause swelling in joints, making them feel tender and sore.
- Deformed joints – joints can start to look like they are the wrong shape, especially as arthritis gets worse.
- Reduced range of motion and loss of use of the joint – as your arthritis gets worse, you may not be able to fully bend, flex, or extend your joints. Or you may not be able to use them at all.
- Cracking and creaking – your joints make crunching, creaking sounds. This creaking may also occur in a normal joint. But in most cases, it doesn’t hurt and doesn’t mean that there is anything wrong with the joint.
Schedule an Osteoarthritis Consultation in Delray Beach
If osteoarthritis is causing you pain or discomfort, don’t hesitate to speak with a pain specialist. To get started on treatment in Delray Beach, contact Palm Beach Pain Institute today to schedule an appointment. Give our office a call at (561) 499-7020 or request an appointment through our secure online form.