Herniated Disc Treatment in Delray Beach, FL
What Is a Herniated Disc?
A herniated disc refers to a problem with one of the discs that sit between the individual vertebrae which stack to make up your spine. The spinal disc is soft and jelly-like and encased inside of a harder rubber-like exterior. Specifically, a herniated disc is a condition where the inside of the disc is forced out through the exterior layer and may irritate a nearby nerve. Depending on the location of the herniated disc, it can cause serious pain or numbness in your arm or leg.
Palm Beach Pain Institute provides comprehensive testing and treatment for herniated discs. Learn more about herniated discs and call (561) 499-7020 to schedule your appointment at our office in Delray Beach today!
What Are the Symptoms of a Herniated Disc?
Although most people with herniated discs experience pain in their lower back, the pain can also occur in your neck, arms, and legs. Signs and symptoms typically depend on where the herniated disc is positioned and whether or not the disc is pressing against a nerve.
Here are some of the most common symptoms of herniated discs:
- Arm Pain or Leg Pain– If your herniated disk is in your lower back, you’ll typically feel the most pain in your buttocks, thigh, and calf. This pain might shoot into your arm or leg when you cough, sneeze or move into certain positions.
- Numbness or Tingling Feeling-People with a herniated disc often experience numbness or tingling to the part of the body affected by the spinal nerves.
- Muscle Weakness– Muscles can also be affected by a disc pressing against a nerve. Some people experience difficulty when holding or lifting items or stumbling when they walk.
There are even instances where you may have a herniated disc and not show any symptoms. In this case, you probably wouldn’t know you have it unless you get a spinal image taken. This is why it’s important to have regular appointments with Dr. Marcie Merson to discuss your spine health and any pain you may be experiencing.
What Causes a Herniated Disc?
Herniated discs are most often caused by a normal aging wear-and-tear condition called disc degeneration. As you age, this disc becomes less flexible and more likely to rupture or tear with minor strains.
Because of this, many people can’t identify the exact cause of their herniated disk-sometimes, it’s as simple as using your back muscles to move a heavy object rather than your legs. Other times, a traumatic event may be the cause such as falling on your back.
What Risk Factors Can Lead to a Herniated Disc?
Here are the factors that can lead to a herniated disc:
- Occupation– People with physically demanding jobs where they lift and move heavy objects are also at a greater risk of having a herniated disc.
- Weight– Excess body weight causes stress on the discs in your spine.
- Genetics– If you have a family history of herniated discs, you may be more likely to get one due to a genetic predisposition.
Smoking– Doctors believe that smoking lessens the oxygen supply to the disc, causing it to deteriorate more quickly.
Schedule Your Appointment for Herniated Disc Treatment Today!
If you are looking for relief from your herniated disc pain near the Delray Beach area, please contact Palm Beach Pain Institute today to schedule an appointment. Give us a call at (561) 499-7020 or request an appointment through our secure online form.