Fibromyalgia Management in Delray Beach, FL
Fibromyalgia is a chronic condition that causes pain throughout the body, which can be debilitating and affect a person’s quality of life. Dr. Merson, a board-certified physician in Delray Beach, FL, specializes in fibromyalgia management. Dr. Merson offers a personalized approach to each patient’s care, taking into account their unique symptoms and medical history. With the right treatment plan, fibromyalgia can be managed, reducing pain and improving overall well-being.
If you are living with fibromyalgia, don’t suffer in silence. Contact Dr. Merson’s office today by calling (561) 499-7020 or using our secure online form to schedule an appointment.
What Is Hip Pain?
Fibromyalgia, also called fibromyalgia syndrome (FMS), is a long-term condition that causes pain all over the body.
What Do We Know About Fibromyalgia?
Although we do not know what causes fibromyalgia, we do know:
- It is a chronic or long-lasting condition
- You may have a heightened sensitivity to pain
- Fibromyalgia is more common in women than men
- It can affect people of any age, including children
- Usually starts around middle age but can occur anytime
- Occurs in people of all races and backgrounds
- Affects only two-four percent of people, so it is quite rare
- Tends to run in families but doesn’t have to
- Fibromyalgia is not an autoimmune or inflammation-based illness
- Research suggests the nervous system is involved
- There is no test to diagnose the disease but Dr. Merson can help
What Are the Symptoms of Fibromyalgia?
The symptoms of fibromyalgia are sometimes confused with joint pain or arthritis.
If you have fibromyalgia, you may experience:
- Pain issues
- Increased sensitivity to pain
- Muscle stiffness
- Headaches or migraines
- Face or jaw pain
- Tingling or numbness in hands or feet
Extreme tiredness (fatigue)
- Difficulty sleeping
Mental processing problems
- Issues with memory
- Trouble concentrating
- Stomach pain and bloating
How Can Dr. Merson Help?
Although there is no test for fibromyalgia, Dr. Merson may order laboratory tests and X-rays to rule out conditions resembling fibromyalgia.
Dr. Merson will talk to you about your medical history and any events that may have occurred recently. Sometimes fibromyalgia can occur after a change in routine, trauma, fluctuation of hormones, stressors, or changes in sleep.
The diagnosis of fibromyalgia is clinically based on your symptoms and physical exam.
Dr. Merson may also suggest:
- A basic blood test to exclude other causes of fatigue such as anemia or thyroid disease
- Assessing the number of tender points, or areas, on your body that is highly sensitive to touch
You may be diagnosed if you have had widespread pain for three months or longer with fatigue and other symptoms.
What are my Treatment Options for Fibromyalgia?
Although there is no cure for fibromyalgia, you can get relief from your symptoms in a number of ways including:
Lifestyle treatment options
- Behavioral therapy – to help cope with cognitive thoughts that impact pain
- Address sleep habits – treat sleep apnea or other conditions to give more quality, restful sleep
- Stress management techniques – to improve overall wellness
- Strength training and exercise – physical therapies can help relieve symptoms
- Diet recommendations – nutrition to fuel your body and alleviate pain
Medication treatment options
- Antidepressants – to improve mood
- Brain chemical drugs – to increase serotonin levels
- Drugs to block brain overactivity – block nerve cells involved in pain transmission
- Sleep medications – to give you a more restful night’s sleep
Schedule a Fibromyalgia Consultation in Delray Beach, FL
If you suspect you may have fibromyalgia, don’t hesitate to seek medical attention. Contact Dr. Merson’s office in Delray Beach, FL, to schedule a consultation and receive a proper diagnosis. With a personalized approach to fibromyalgia management, Dr. Merson can help you manage your symptoms and take control of your health. Call (561) 499-7020 or use their secure online form to schedule an appointment today.